Effectively market the Columbia Snake River System and the Port of Lewiston to support job creation within Nez Perce County.
Focus Areas, Objectives & Strategies
Objective 1 : Expand break-bulk costumer base and activity.
- Strategy 1: Identify and personally contact logistics firms approximately every six months. Initiate by December 2014.
- Strategy 2: Identify trade shows and industry conferences in potential markets, and create annual calendar to plan for staff and/or commissioner attendance at a minimum of two trade shows annually. Initiate by December 2014.
- Strategy 3: Identify and meet with partner agencies and organizations for the development and expansion of shipping opportunities, including cooperative activities.
- Strategy 4: Advocate for efficient transportation routes (river, rail and road). Educate shippers concerning current limitations to oversized cargo on regional highways.
Objective 2 : Increase container customer base and volume by 10% by December 2015.
- Strategy 1: Maintain routine contact with customer base to improve customer relations, sharing the value and benefit of choosing the Port of Lewiston. Develop/expand staff marketing skills and responsibilities and schedule personal visits to customer sites; minimum 3x annually.
- Strategy 2: Maintain routine contact with steamship lines by scheduling personal visits a minimum of 2x annually.
- Strategy 3: Identify and meet with partner agencies and organizations for the development and expansion of shipping opportunities including cooperative activites.
- Strategy 4: Advocate for efficiency of transportation routes (river, rail and road).
- Strategy 5: Identify trade shows and industry conferences and create annual calendar to plan for staff and/or commissioner attendance. Initiate by December 2014.
- Strategy 6: Assist customers with their export/import transportation options with ongoing improvements to resource information on the Port website.
Objective 1 : Maximize utilization of Port properties and facilities to promote business development.
- Strategy 1: Support and prioritize funding of infrastructure improvements through annual budgeting process.
- Strategy 2: Increase communication with a provide marketing tools to real estate professionals and recruitment and expansion partners (i.e. Valley Vision and CEDA) to educate and inform about attributes of Port properties and facilities. Complete by December 2015.
- Strategy 3: Support existing tenants with expansion needs and promotional activities.
- Strategy 4: Provide start-ups with direction to planning and funding resources.
Objective 2 : Support business development in the Port District.
- Strategy 1: Provide assistance and information resources in the areas of transportation options and business expansion needs.
- Strategy 2: Actively partner with local economic development organizations (i.e. Valley Vision and CEDA) to support local business and industry development.
Objective 1 : Engage in outreach activities to increase awareness of the Port’s role in economic development and international trade.
- Strategy 1: Actively encourage (request) placement on speakers’ bureau lists for regional organizations and agencies.
- Strategy 2: Improve cross-communication channels with local governmental entities, including attendance at meetings and providing updates/reports. Designate staff/commissioner assignments by February 2015.
- Strategy 3: Improve cross-communication with Pacific Northwest ports including meeting attendance and/or electronic communications.
- Strategy 4: Increase attendance and participation at state-level governmental and Idaho trade organization meetings and events.
- Strategy 5: Support professional development and training of staff to participate as representatives in outreach activities.
- Strategy 6: Enhance Port marketing materials including web, video, print and other mediums.
Objective 2 : Improve public access to Port information.
- Strategy 1: Improve website to be more user-friendly and expand content.
- Strategy 2: Create and link electronic files of minutes, planning documents and other data.