The Port of Lewiston is a public organization serving the citizens of Nez Perce County as an economic development district, intermodal transportation center and facilitator of international trade. Located 465 miles from the Pacific Ocean, the Port of Lewiston is the most inland Port on the west coast. The Columbia-Snake River system is supported by inland barge service that transports bulk commodities and containerized cargo. The Port of Lewiston provides the largest crane and warehouse facility on the inland river system. The Lewis-Clark Terminal, a privately-owned business adjacent to the Port, provides the largest grain storage facilities on the river system.
On March 16, 1931, Idaho Senate Bill 116 passed and authorized ports in Idaho. No additional action was taken until 1958, when 80% of Nez Perce County voters in the November election favored creation of the Port of Lewiston – Idaho’s only seaport.
As Idaho’s only seaport, the mission of the Port of Lewiston is to develop and manage assets and services that stimulate job creation and trade, while enhancing the quality of life for Nez Perce County residents.
The Port of Lewiston is a respected leader contributing to the region’s economic growth and vitality; a model of excellence for transportation, international trade, and job creation.
Learn more about the Port of Lewiston by downloading our Port brochure. You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view.